Thursday, July 17, 2008

Two Months!!!

It's been two months now, but you could have fooled me. Time flew by - I had a birthday, a few dates, finished the summer semester at school, lined up a promotion at work, started wearing contacts, and got myself a beautiful new road bike. Things seem to be working out okay.

As for being a vegetarian, I made it past 30 days. Then went 30 more. It's funny how this started out as a challenge to myself. How 30 days seemed like a huge commitment. How I felt on day one - in over my head. Now it takes concentrated effort to put myself back in the shoes I wore two months ago. To consider going vegetarian as a challenge seems so innocently naïve and funny.

I thought my diet would have to severely change.
I thought I would have to eat a lot more food.
I thought I would have less energy.


In reality, I eat less (and have better control over my appetite), my energy is through the roof, my mind feels clear, and the only change in my diet is buying a substitute for meat. It’s not perfect by any means – social situations when you go out to eat or over to someone’s house require navigation – but it’s not difficult. Socially, people get it. I never thought about what it meant to be a vegetarian male. I get crap for it occasionally, but it’s all good natured and after getting their two cents in, those that have something to say still express respect for me and my decision. Curiosity is the most common encounter for me as I venture this new landscape. The same explanation many times over – I love meat, but I will not support the inhumane treatment of animals by consuming it – always draws respect and never an argument. One of the most rewarding things though... when you get together with a friend, weeks after telling them you became a vegetarian, and they open up and tell you how after hearing about your decision, they did some thinking, and decided to challenge themselves.

I’m sticking with it.

No comments: