Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I am finally ready

My name is Andrew. I am 23, from Minnesota, and I am becoming a vegetarian for the next 30 days.

As far back as I can remember vegetables have been absent from my diet. My mom never forced me to eat them as a kid, so my meals revolved around my appetite which had a strong penchant for meat, pasta (or carbs if you will…), sugars, and the occasional fruit. Strictly no veggies though! I had my exceptions: salsa, tomato sauce, potatoes, and the very rare Caesar salad. Even my burgers contained only the meat, cheese, and bun. I never really ate pork (although bacon was nice) and I never ate fish or seafood. I justified the gross exclusion of veggies from my diet by taking vitamins (fully aware of the inferiority of the source…)

I believe becoming a vegetarian will be the hardest thing I have ever done.

So here is my blog about it. I gave it up on Sunday for reasons I will explain another day. I also decided in the same stroke to give up Alcohol, Energy Drinks, and to start running more. Those topics may come up from time to time, but certainly will not be my primary focus (as I see those challenges being easier).

This blog will not trail on indefinitely. I am writing it for my own benefit to look back and see how my perceptions and knowledge have changed, as well as the hope that someone somewhere finds it valuable in making their own decision on meat.

So cheers to giving up meat over the next 30 days and possibly beyond! It may not be easy, but then again nothing of value ever is!

~ Andrew

No comments: